Client: The Home Depot
Division: Supply Chain
Application: Inventory Event Management
Date: 7/08/2016 – 4/01/2017
Role: Lead UX Designer
The goal for this project was to streamline the usage of the Inventory Event Management application for the Supply Chain of the Home Depot. Business Analysts were taking far too much time navigating the overly complicated system of searching, creating, and importing events to purchase additional inventory for special events at the stores.
- D&F Process
- User Research
- Research Synthesis
- Design Studio
- Rapid Prototyping (Sketch)
- Dynamic Prototyping (Axure)
Some of the ways we measured how these changes would benefit the company are broken down in the following way:
The customers are able to purchase items that are popular during peak seasons with ease and not need to worry about them being sold out.
Value in Dollars
Bringing in higher demand product when needed leads to more purchases which means more money for all of us.
Analysts will be able to use our application instead of manually input data using excel sheets which are emailed between themselves, therefore eliminating user error.
Our analysts are able to input and search for their events quickly and effectively in order to get more work and more events set into motion.
By using the Discovery and Framing process, we took several steps to make sure the needs of the business and the users were being met. After having meetings with the Product Owner in order to gather a list of their expectations and needs, I met with the business analysts in order to see how their used the current tool. I wrote a script of questions and recorded video of these sessions which we brought into a research synthesis session.
After watching the videos of the user interacting with the old IEM, we listed all of the issues with the platform.
Once you have a listing of all of the issues with the system, group them by similarity to gauge where the issues with the system are.
The final list of issues is as follows:
- Not familiar with other search filters or criteria
- Want IEM to default to the analyst’s needs
- Shared Classes are difficult to manage between analysts
- Didn’t know how to search “Black Friday” events
- Cannot switch between “AND” and “OR” for already selected searchers
- LDAP filter not as helpful because of MCT events
- Date Search cumbersome, easier to sort by dates in UI
- Confusion with dates created instead of started
- Too much clicking with search
- Couldn’t search by User 1 or User 2